Thursday, January 15, 2009

I am in love!!!

Don't ya love the beginnings of a relationship? Whether with a romantic interest or with a new friend - you connect with them so well that you can't wait to see them again! To share your thoughts with them, tell them the hard things that happened during the day, or the joys from your day? Don't you wish that newness never went away? While it is possibly the start of an ongoing, deep relationship, there's just something about that newness that I think we wish we could hold on to. The thrill, the excitement, the innocence.

Well, I am feeling that way about a very dear friend of mine...one that knows me so well - exactly what I am thinking, feeling, and knows exactly what to say to me at exactly the right time! Sometimes, my friend is silent - allowing me to figure something out for 'myself', and then there to celebrate with me when I finally do. My friend laughs with me, cries with me, holds me, protects me, seeks me, talks to me, unconditionally loves me.

Ok, YES....I am in love with Jesus! Seriously. We've been close for quite some time now and it's beyond the 'newness'...but every - single - time that I sit down with Him, I fall in love over and over again. Jesus wants a relationship with Him. And a relationship takes two people...it's constant give and take. My love and my relationship with Him is all He wants from me. Unconditionally.

At the start of the new year, I began Oswald Chambers 'My Utmost for His Highest'. I kept hearing this mentioned all summer long. I'd never heard of it. So one day in the fall my sister and I were at a Christian bookstore and I started looking for it. It seemed like Oswald Chambers was a household name to many people so I felt a little embarrassed to ask where his book might be. I looked and looked to the point that I was frustrated but I really wanted to find this book. As I was looking at the very top shelf an employee asked if she could help me. With some hesitancy in my voice, I told her what I was looking for. The hesitancy was in case she didn't know who I was talking about (HA!) as well as 'what if she totally judges me and laughs at me for not already having this book?!'. Well, turns out she was very gracious and told me to follow her. She took me to the sale aisle (score -the sale aisle!!!) and begins to point it out and goes on to show me how many different editions there are. Who knew?! I left there with one pocket sized edition and two journal editions. Turns out it's one of those read-through-the-year books. Ohhhhh....ok....well I can do THIS!!! However, being my father's daughter, I certainly can't start it in the middle of October!!! Especially not the journal edition! So, I put those two away and kept the other one out on my coffee table, picking it up from time to time to see what it said for that day. I knew I'd get serious about it once January 1st rolled around. I took both journal editions to Mom and Dad's with me since I'd be there for New Years Day. One ended up in my Mom's hands. I hope she's reading along each day too.

Let me just tell you....every - single - time I read it (every day thus far!) I fall in love with Jesus all over again. Now don't get me wrong, I know they are Oswald Chamber's words...but they are all based on scripture stated at the top and woven all throughout the daily reading. The journal edition allows me to write my thoughts each day. I am never at a loss for words after reading it twice then highlighting what really sticks out to me (sometimes the whole thing is highlighted!!). I am my father's daughter after all. The smileys next to some things come from being my mother's daughter. ;)

Any doubt I am feeling that day about moving to a new country on my own, raising my own funds to go, what will I do about this or that - they all go away when I am put into God's word each day. I am in this with Him....and in the end, that's what matters. Yesterday's reading was titled "Called of God"....other titles are "Have You Ever Been Alone With God?", "Will You Go Out Without Knowing?", "Why Cannot I Follow Thee Now?" and "What My Obedience To God Costs Other People". You see why I enjoy this so much?

If you are not spending every day in the word of the Lord, I urge you to. Check out 'My Utmost for His Highest' daily readings if you wish, or whatever works for you. You will experience God like never before. And it makes each day worth living for...and your focus on Him. All day long....

Time to go spend time with my best friend...


PS- Please leave your comments, FRIENDS! Let me know you're out there....leave one as 'anonymous' and just sign your name at the end if you don't have a blogger account, etc. I'm excited to hear from you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i enjoy my utmost for his highest too.

another good book EVERYONE is telling me to read is blue like jazz. so hard to find time to sit still though isn't it? i think i'm closest to God when i'm at the ocean or at the lake, away from my computer, cell phone, etc....

xo

Anonymous said...

great post, rom. do i have to sign my name?
maybe i should get that book. or just open my Bible. it's hard to be engaged in other relationships when my relationship with Him isn't what it should be.
love you.
B

Mike said...

Ami, I also love "My Utnost for His Highest". I have been reading it almost daily for the last 5 years. Every year I start reading another daily devotional but find myself still reading Oswald Chambers. It has been amazing how God has used his words in a new way every year as my situation changed but His eternal truth didn't.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing Cheek!

-Jennifer Hester