Sunday, December 21, 2008

After South Africa 2008

I returned to Dallas on the afternoon of Saturday, July 27. I had Sunday to catch up on sleep and get to work that Monday. It wasn't too bad, but by 3:00 that afternoon I was ready for bed! It's a lot when I get back...to catch up on sleep but also to process everything emotionally. That just comes with time. I knew it would take about 2 weeks to really feel 'normal' when it came to sleep. The plan was to return to work for a week, and then go on vacation for a week with my family. (This was all a huge blessing to be able to do all of this in one summer when it came to my job. I am still really thankful for that.)
God had a different plan though. The Monday I went back to work (2 days after I got back from South Africa) and I went home so tired. I probably went to bed about 8 that night. About 3am I woke up not feeling well at all! I just thought my stomach was upset. It continued on through the wee hours of the morning. I called my boss about 7:45 and told him I'd be a little late. An hour later I was calling my mom (who happened to be in Dallas, but was planning on going home that day) and told her something was wrong and I didn't know what to do. She told me to call my doctor and make an appointment. I called her back and told her I'd be ok, not to come over. But very soon after those words came out, out also came the ugly cry. Seems that can come pretty easy when it comes to being a Momma's girl. ;) I was in so much pain and didn't feel like I could even get out of bed. Long story short, and sparing you the details, Mom came over and we went to my doctor who immediately sent me to the ER. Apparently I picked up a nasty bug either in South Africa or on the return trip home (of course I blame it on the airports!!). I was given a lot of pain meds in the ER, lots of tests were done, and I was sent home with three antibiotics and pain meds. F-U-N. Mom spent the night with me to be sure I was ok through the night and really was a rock star in taking care of me. She was supposed to take my niece back home with her for the couple days before the family vacation, but there was worry that Mom might catch something from me, or my niece catching it from her, so that didn't happen. Knowing the little
six-year-old heart was broken to not have alone time with her Mimi broke my heart too. It all was ok in the end though. I spent Tuesday through Saturday in bed...the doctor said it would take several days for me to get back on my feet. Hate it when they are right....
I was still able to go on vacation with my family, just had a slow start at first but then it turned out to be great time of relaxing and catching up on sleep again (with not being sick!).

Soon after I returned to work (for the second time), talks of a promotion for me came about. I was soon faced with accepting the promotion, or giving a firm 'yes' for going to live in South Africa for a year. You see, as I'd left South Africa, Leon told me Genesis would have me to work with funding, public relations, and coordinating teams to come from the U.S. He simply told me to pray about it. I was prayin alright. I met with our Team Leader and Missions Director from church to talk it over and find out how to go about moving to South Africa. We talked it over and we left the meeting with them telling me that all they needed was a firm 'yes' in order to get the wheels turning. I thought everything over A LOT. And talked it over with a lot of people. There were people on both sides, as well as in support of whatever I chose. With having gotten sick, some people thought I was crazy to want to go back "to the place that got you that sick!" This I laughed at because no matter what, I'd still be going back every summer, at the least! Remember that it was the airport that got me sick! haha.
Once I thought it over, and let things lead me away from South Africa, I chose to take the promotion. I let Satan get to me. He knew exactly what to put in front of me that would prevent me from following God's plan. He knew what to overwhelm me with - funding, safety, health, being so far from friends and family, packing up my stuff, etc. I will be completely honest and tell you that I allowed him to let those things overwhelm me. Satan caused me to take my eyes off Jesus, and give in to my American ways - more money, growth within my company, a new role which would bring great opportunities. Great opportunities to those that see it as such...

I have learned that the greatest opportunity is one that the Lord has laid upon on my heart and in front of me....

No comments: