Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Broken

It seems to be the word to describe several things lately. And I don’t just mean not having hot water for 4 days. That is so minor. Although the fourth day was getting a bit long…;)

Seriously though. Two weeks ago while I was at the Life Skills training we were doing a listening skills exercise. We were told to tell our partner about different times in our lives (happy, sad, favorite birthday, angry, etc.) doing different communication (no words – only motions, talking at the same time, whispering, standing across the room from each other, etc.) . There were three of us in my group. One of the exercises was to stand back to back and tell about the last time we were sad. Our group had a man from South Africa, and two Americans – myself and a missionary that’s here with the IMB. We Americans went first. He told about the last time he was sad, then I told mine (missing my nieces), and then it was the other mans turn (I am not using his name). He said “I was sad on the 7th of August when my five year old daughter was raped by a friend.” GASP. I turned around and said “WHAT?! YOUR daughter?! When?!” I know this man, I consider him a friend here, so hearing this I was in absolute shock and had to be sure I heard him correctly. He shook his head yes. I told him I was so sorry to hear this. He simply hung his head and came towards us for a hug. Sigh. I’ve been praying for them ever since. What do you say to someone in that situation?! There are no words. Only broken hearts.

Last week some of us went to Place of Restoration. This is a place of safety for abused, abandoned, and neglected children. The first place I volunteered after college, back in Dallas, was a similar place. However, those three words – abused, abandoned, and neglected – mean something completely different here. I can’t explain it- they just do. There may not be any other family for the child to go to here. Either no one knows where they are, or they are all dead. Neglected could be that both parents have died of AIDS. We don’t face that much back at home. I got to hold a baby for a little while. I was brought back to a time when I held a small baby at the shelter back in Dallas. That was a similar experience for me. All I thought was “How could any woman have just given birth, in the last 6 months or less, to this child and not be holding this baby, HER baby, in her arms right now? Why is this child here?!” There are no words. Only broken hearts.

I had the opportunity to spend some time with the managing director of the Vikings Rugby Academy, Lodie, and his wife, Cristal, and their daughter last week. The Vikings Rugby Academy is a ministry of the church and Genesis. It gives boys who are finished with high school the opportunity to play rugby and be coached to eventually go into the big leagues of rugby here in South Africa. It is much more than that though. Most of the boys that come to the academy are not Christians. They are coached and taught on Christian values though, so most do come to know Christ while a part of this program. They are also taught life skills and much more. They don’t come from much, but are given a tremendous opportunity. Lodie has such a heart for this ministry and takes it very seriously. Recently it was thought that they would be getting government funding for this program. That did not happen though and they are in desperate need of funds. If they do not get them soon, they will close down. And boys will miss the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful program. There are no words. Please pray with me that we find funding for them and more young men will be reached and the glory will be for God.

The other day I was asked if there was anything I could do to help a young man rebuild his family’s home that was destroyed in floods that came through this area over a year ago. The amount is nothing compared to what we would settle for back home. This young man humbled himself enough to come talk to me about this. Sigh. All I could do was tell him that I would pray about this with him. He doesn’t want a hand out. He specifically told me he doesn’t want money but the materials purchased for the house. It’s for a roof over their heads…not some luxury item. There are no words.

So you see, my heart breaks on a daily basis here. I go home often with a heavy heart and fall into His arms each night, knowing He has the answers and it’s all in His hands and His plan.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

DEAR Ami!
I Hope I am posting my comment correctly!? I have just read your beautiful and Most Touching blog! So many needs...I will be in deep prayer for all everyday.
Love You!
Mom

Janine said...

My precious friend. Tears are in my eyes as I read these words and can see your beautiful face smiling, crying, loving these people. This is why you are there, you are so very gifted at sharing yourself with others. Praise God you are there and that they have you to pray with them and to pray for them.

Love you!
Janine