Friday, July 10, 2009

Where to begin…

So much has happened and I’ve just been too busy and tired to post updates. All the stories I have to tell may come out in a quite a few posts in the days to come. I’ll just start by letting you know what’s been going on the last couple of weeks.

First of all, I got a car!!! This happened on Tuesday, June 24. An amazing family who blessed this place back in April funded this vehicle and I am still speechless at the outreach they have done thus far here in South Africa. Not just for me but for the sick, hungry, lost...incredible. There are no words. And they already know my many thanks as I tell them every chance I get.

The adult team from Lake Pointe arrived here on the night of Thursday, June 26. My sister, Becki, and her husband, Doug, arrived with the team as well! I was so excited leading up to their arrival so when they were finally got here I was so happy! Many people that I have traveled with to South Africa the past two years also arrived and I was very excited to have them here. Some new faces were also on the team and it was wonderful getting to know them and I feel blessed to have met them here in South Africa. Having a bit of home for awhile has been great.

The team did many things while they were here- VBS in two different communities – once in the morning and once in the afternoon! They also visited the care centre a few times, had a party at a local hospital, visited Rehoboth (an orphanage, or “Children’s Village” as we call it), service project of painting and other renovations to a new community center, home based care visits to those living with/dying of AIDS in their homes, and other ministry opportunities. Seeing South Africa through the eyes of Becki and Doug, who’d never been here before, was a renewing and energizing experience for me. Things that have become common to me here were fresh and new to them, and helped me realize what I’ve begun to take for granted here…and not to do so anymore.

They got to meet my friends and ‘family’ here which was really cool. I’m so glad they got to come with the team and see my life here and what all I’m doing here. Of course it was sad when they had to leave. I didn’t want it to end and it seemed to fly by way to fast. But I know God was in it all and greatly blessed our time together. As I was hugging Becki goodbye I said “You can change your ticket to stay longer….” She said “Then we’d just have to do this (say goodbye) next week so we may as well do it now….” It’s a good thing I didn’t have my passport with me at the airport...

The youth team from Lake Pointe arrived on Wednesday, July 1. So they overlapped the adult team being here by a few days. I didn’t join up with the youth team until Saturday, July 4 – the day the adult team left. Four people from the adult team stayed over longer with the youth team. I didn’t know too many people coming with the youth team but was excited to meet them all. What a great group and joy they have all been. They also had long days of VBS, care centre, Rehoboth, service project, etc. I heard very few complaints from this team of youth though. I pray they go home changed and I am excited to hear about how their lives will be changed once they are home. They leave today. Three from the youth team will be coming to stay with me today through August 7. We plan to have a very relaxing weekend. I do at least.

Ok, specific stories from these last couple weeks will come soon. Thank you for your continuous prayers. I have had doubt. But retelling my journey to get here to two of the youth team members has reminded me that I am where God wants me to be. Going home now would be a huge mistake. Great things are still to be done here... For you're the God of this city.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and TOMORROW (July 11) is Ami's birthday!