Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"...because you are going to do this for Christ."

I went to CarMax to get my car appraised to get an idea of how much I could get from them, but also how much I could up the price if I sold it on my own. Turns out the offer was really low compared to what I thought it would be. Leaving there, I realized that they appraise it low so they can double the price and make money off of it. I get that…it’s a business. But still…I wanted my story to matter…the fact that I was selling my car in hopes that half the funds I need for my year in South Africa would be in place. CarMax felt so…corporate. Everything was read to me from a computer screen. Even the appraisal popped up on the screen…like I was supposed to scream like I was on a game show or something. Instead I held on to the fact that the man said my Mom had to be there when I sold it to them (implying that I’d for sure be selling to them…) since her name is on the title along with mine. I questioned that and he zipped me over to the business center and started talking rapidly about what paper work could be faxed, etc. I waved my hand up and said “whoah…ok, wait. I’m not ready to do all of this stuff today. And, this offer seems really low to me!” He asked “Based on what? (in a condescending tone, that I took as 'you’re a woman, how would you know?') Did you look at Kelly Blue book or something?” I replied “Yes, I did….ok, thank you.” And turned and left.

A couple different people suggested I put it on Craig’s List. The thought of that exhausted me. I don’t have much patience for things like that, let alone the TIME at this point to deal with people looking at it, negotiating, paper work, etc. My friend Amy’s Dad suggested a local Honda dealership to which I thought ‘Duh…why not take it to the place I bought it from?!’ So, I called them the next day and asked if they buy used Honda’s. I took it in that afternoon. A man greeted me at the door and asked if I was there to buy a car today. No, I told him, I’m here to sell my car. He asked how much I wanted for it to which I replied “How much?! (surprised I was being asked that)…Well, I have a story…” And then it began. A chair was pulled out for me and I was asked to have a seat and tell the man my story.


And so I did. I told him how I was selling my car, and most of my things, and moving to South Africa. I didn't go into much detail about it at that point. The man got up and went into the glassed in room. I immediately felt like I was in a Deal or No Deal situation and he went to talk to the banker! I couldn't even see 'the banker' as he was hidden behind something put up on the glass. The man came out and asked me again what I wanted for my car....they needed to know whether to send me on to CarMax or not. HA! I asked why they would send me there and he was perfectly honest and said they wanted to know if it was worth their time to appraise my car. Basically if I said I wanted $12,000 no lower, they'd send me on my merry way. :) So I gave him my range of what I gathered from my research on the Internet. I explained that I knew it may be high, and they usually offer less so they can make their profit. But I was trying to get as much as I could in order to support myself in South Africa. He went back into 'the banker' and spoke with him. He was back out soon after and said they would appraise my car, and invited me to come sit at his desk. My back had been to his desk up until this point. I sat down and started to notice some things....a Christian Leadership book, and John C. Maxwell book, a poem based around Philippians 4:13 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me'. Mmmm...Thank you God.
The man then asked me what exactly I'd be doing over in South Africa. So I told him, and had a chance to talk some about Jesus as I spoke. I could see his mind turning with all sorts of thoughts as he kept telling me how great it was what I am doing.
At one point he asked me if I'm an only child. I told him no, that I have three older sisters who are all married. He then said he had to sit down to ask me the next question.

Him: Now, your parents...


Me: (laughing) I know what you're going to ask! (several people have asked me what my parents think of me moving to South Africa!)

Him: No, no, let me finish. Your parents obviously have instilled this in you to go and do this. So what did they do?! What did they teach you?

Me: Hmmm...wow...no one has asked me that! Um, well, my Mom is a very giving person. She always goes above and beyond for people in need so that's where I get the compassion side from. My Dad is a business man and has taught me a lot when it comes to that. He wasn't too sure about me leaving a career I've built for 6&1/2 years to do this. So, they've taught me a lot and I hope to teach them that sometimes I have to take a step of faith.

Him: Wow. So they've taught you a lot and now you are going to teach them something. That's great...

He went on to tell me about his step of faith when he came to sell used cars three years ago. He had numerous awards on the wall by his desk. We talked a little more and at one point he assured me he would do everything he could for every last dollar on my car. SO not a corporate feeling and negotiating could take place here, through this man, as opposed to at CarMax. He and I talked throughout the process, and he would go into 'the banker' from time to time. It was finally ready for him to tell me how much they'd appraised my car for.

Him: Ok, we have appraised your car at $6,500, but we are going to offer you $8,000 because you are going to do this for Christ.

Me: Wow. Ok. THANK YOU!!!

We worked out the details with the title and papers my Mom needs to sign and not have to be there. I will take it in on April 1 and sell it to them. Praise God. He was there and I felt His presence the entire time. I just kept whispering 'Thank you Jesus'. Not because of the money...but because this money allows me to be over in South Africa, serving Him and His people. I'm still in awe and very thankful.

So...if you need to buy or sell a used car and live in the DFW area, go to Rusty Wallis Honda and ask for Bernard Williams. He doesn't know I'm giving his name...I'm just passing on the love of Christ. :)


7 comments:

Psalm112 said...

I'm in tears! What an absolute joy! Isn't it awesome to see Christ work? I know you are going to do work in S. Africa for the Lord, but you did work at Rusty Wallis Honda yesterday for the Lord. Praise HIM for you and your heart!!

Shannon said...

Wow!! What a wonderful story!

Anonymous said...

I KNOW HIM!!! How bizarre! I have bought two Hondas from him in the past...I'm SO glad he was able to help you and you feel like you finally got a fair shake on your car! God is wonderous...

Unknown said...

What an amazing story, Ami. God's sovereignty over all simply amazes me---every single time. Thanks for sharing your story!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ami, thanks for sharing that! God is good all the time...even in car dealerships!
Love you,
Mindi

Janine said...

Oh Ami ...... thank you so much for sharing that!!!
What a wonderful man of Christ. Almost makes me want to drive up there to buy a car!!!
Love and am proud of you,
Janine