Tuesday, December 16, 2008

South Africa 2008...Part 3

Alright, let's try to wrap up South Africa 2008 in this post! Me have a lot to say?!?!?!? Never...

I had the privilege to stay with two other wonderful families during my extra two weeks in South Africa. The first was Britt and Rolf Kuhn, and their two year old son, Tristan. Britt and Rolf were both born and raised in South Africa. They live on a sugar cane farm, which is the same farm that Rolf grew up on and now runs and operates. This was a great experience! They live further up in the mountains and it was so much colder then anywhere else in Port Shepstone! We enjoyed hot chocolate by the fireplace pretty much every night I stayed with them. I also got to go on a sugar cane burn run with Rolf and actually started the fire! Ok, I did it for about 20 seconds and then it got SO HOT so I backed away while the workers really got it going. I am pretty sure they found it very humorous to see an American get so excited about starting a sugar cane burn run! What can I say...I am easily amused.

Britt worked for Genesis as their funding coordinator and public relations officer (PRO). I say 'worked' in past tense because as of just recently she has decided to spend more time raising her son and spending time with her family. I am hoping another baby is on the way in the future! Not starting rumors...I know nothing of this just that she's a great Mom! :)
Two things I did while staying with the Kuhn's were the farm ministry and the garden ministry, which are both run through Norwegian Settler's Church.

The farm ministry is amazing. There are volunteers that go to different farms in the area and minister to farm workers. HIV & AIDS is very prevalent amongst the farm worker community. Teaching about the love of Jesus to these men is so important.

Frank Honey is one of the volunteers and the leader of the team on the day I went. He is retired and told me that he always knew that when he retired he would do this type of ministry. He grew up on a farm and learned to speak Zulu from the workers on the farm. He still speaks fluent Zulu and is great at it!

We went to two different farms, up in the mountains where it was really cold! But everyone we spoke with was so eager to learn more and more about Jesus. Volunteers visit each farm once a week so they are learning more and more every week. They are given a booklet with different lessons, all in Zulu. One of the volunteers, Molly, who lives on a farm herself, has the most AMAZING voice. Her singing was another encounter with the Holy Spirit for me. WOW. I was literally brought to tears listening to her. I had no idea what she was saying, but it didn't matter. We were both there as sisters in Christ worshiping HIM. Here is Molly singing. Don't mind the lighting...there was no electricty so we had candles lit. It's more about what you hear then what you see anyway. ;) I've put two cause if you're anything like me you want to keep listening to her. In the second one the man standing on the right is Frank Honey.





Here is a picture of Molly and me. I cannot wait to see her again and listen to her sing.

I really learned a lot from Britt while staying with her and her family. I was able to see some of the funding proposals she has worked on. She was only working for Genesis part time when I was there and she had her hands full! It was amazing to watch her go from Mommy to professional in a matter of a 20 minute car ride. She also helped a lot with making sure I was comfortable and taken care of every day! For some reason I have no pictures of Britt and I together so hopefully we'll take one soon. ;)

I almost forgot to tell you about the biggest leap of faith while with Britt and Rolf!!! They took me to the Oribi Gorge to "check out the views" and the "swing". This is a 300 foot free fall into the gorge with nothing but a harness on and then once you get to the bottom, you swing through the gorge as they pull you back up along side a waterfall and an incredible view. (sigh) Yes, I know it was an incredible view because I did it. No, I did not do it on my own. The man had to p-u-s-h me off the cliff. That's right:

I literally have been pushed off a cliff.

I get that funny feeling in my feet just thinking about it! I also did it with sweet baby Jesus watching over me. I prayed the whole way back up. Britt and Rolf said I didn't scream until I was at the bottom. To which I replied "that's because I didn't open my eyes until I was at the bottom!!! " I do have a video of this jump and may have to post it if possible. My family and team thought I was crazy when I emailed them with this news. Yep, I'm here doing the possible so God can do the impossible! ;) Here are pictures:
This was probably after I went to the edge about 3 times. He's telling me that he's never had anyone turn back after already being strapped in and ready to go. I told him that I would be his first to do so then!!



"Just walk out a little more..." This is right before he got me past the 'yellow line'
and pushed me!


'HE JUST PUSHED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Close your eyes, just close your eyes!'

Yep, that little dot is me....swinging away!

"Did you see him push me?!?! I'm alive!!! That was soo cool!"

Sorry, there will have to be a Part 4. I really want to share these stories with you and trust me, there could be 20 parts to it if I wrote about everything. Part 4 will be the last- promise!!!

*Tonight I am thankful for a warm home, warm blankets, and an absolutely wonderful friend.*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big fires and cliff-jumping. Are you sure this is the reasonable thing to do???
:) Mindi