Tuesday, December 9, 2008

South Africa 2007

We began to meet as a team. Our first meeting was a dinner with an IMB missionary that was currently living in South Africa. It was a great start to learning about where we would be working, staying, learning, etc. We then met almost every Saturday leading up to the trip to plan (the best we could!), have fellowship, pray, ask questions, cry, laugh, etc. We talked about our biggest fears one Saturday. In my opinion that was the day that we really bonded as a group, and didn't feel so alone in our fears.
My biggest fear was not the fundraising I had to do to pay for the trip, or the long (ok, VERY long) plane ride, or even our safety. My greatest fear was how I was going to react to the 'hospice' that we'd be doing work in. I'd never been around someone that I knew was HIV positive or had AIDS. I'd never actually witnessed someone die, or seen someone that close to death. I have no medical training and frankly am scared of anything 'medical'. For some reason in my mind I kept having this image of running out of the hospice and throwing up. It's hard for me to even write that today because of how ignorant it sounds. But I want to give you this full story.
After a really long time on a plane and in airports that certainly tested my patience and emotions, we were in South Africa. We got into Port Shepstone, South Africa very late on a Saturday night. We were all so tired and really wanted a shower. We got rest and showers and enjoyed a wonderful Sunday at church and at a hospital where we had a party in the children's ward. The picture of me with the little girl is the first child I picked up in South Africa (at the hospital) and I did not set her down for probably an hour and half. She was "my little girl". The photo was taken about 5 minutes after I'd picked her up.
So to the hospice. My "biggest fear". Everyone knew this, and most importantly God knew this. Because as soon as we stepped into that place God totally took control of me and my fear. We walked around to each patient and said hello and I made sure to touch everyone's hands...I suppose I felt like this would help them realize that I knew they were sick, but I wasn't scared of them for that. It also clicked in my mind that they needed that human touch...that warm hand to touch them and not make them seem so "on display for stupid Americans to see a South African dying of AIDS." (sorry if that's too blunt)
We handed out oranges. I realized after about 5 minutes of seeing them just hold their oranges that they didn't have the strength to peel the oranges!! I told a few others and we all began to peel them and help each person eat their orange. What nutrients to someone that is HIV positive or dying of AIDS!


And so it began...my absolute love of the Genesis Care Centre. They do not call it a hospice because it's a place for patients to get better and learn to care for themselves. While some do die there, it more of exactly what they call it- a care centre. And they strive to help their patients 'live with AIDS' rather than 'die of AIDS'.


Care Centre

I spent most of my week there- loving the patients and the staff! And oh what great staff they have! Bridget in the kitchen quickly became my favorite...we cooked, sang, danced, had some English/Zulu lessons (which resulted in a TON of laughs!!!), hugged and prayed together. To this day I pray for Bridget!
Sharon is the amazing director of the care centre and what a joy she is. If I had to define the word grace, she is who comes to mind. She is loving, caring, selfless, and oh-so-gracious with everyone she meets. And to be admired for her management skills!



Me with Bridget

There will be more stories of my first trip to South Africa that summer of 2007 but that is what I have for now...
South Africa 2007 Team

1 comment:

Janine said...

Ami,
Thank you.
Thank you for stopping by and staying.
Thank you for your wonderful words.
And thank you for sharing your Africa story. I, too, fell in love with Africa, but I think you know that now.
My twin daughters are madly in love with it and I suspect that one of them may be living there one day, doing mission work.
Keep up the good work. You're a great writer and I felt like I was there with you.
Again, thank you.
For becoming a new friend.
Janine